Worried about the treats you’re feeding your dog? Why not make some of your own? Not only is it cheaper and less dangerous than store bought treats, but this recipe consists of ingredients that are easy access and inexpensive. Most importantly, it’s healthy, tasty, and safe for dogs -and people- to eat!
Made with peanut butter and pumpkin as the main ingredients and sources of flavor, these treats can help your dog a lot. Peanut butter has Vitamin H and E in it; Vitamin H can help bring sheen to your dog’s coat, improve the quality of your dog’s skin, and adds strength to your dog’s nails. Vitamin E can help your dog’s immune system, which protects your dog from disease. Pumpkin is great in that it’s full of fiber and helps with both constipation and diarrhea, and even helps with upset stomach. A yummy treat for your dog with peanut butter and pumpkin in it sounds like a dream come true, doesn’t it?
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Crunch
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (unsweetened – not pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used crunchy peanut butter for unique texture)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, and salt.
- Add water as needed, one tbsp at a time, to help make the dough workable. The dough should be dry and sticky. Add flour to keep the stickiness off your hands if needed.
- Roll the dough onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper into a 1/2-inch thick roll, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven until hard, for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool and offer to your lucky dog!
NOTE: This recipe is not my own and belongs to A Muse In My Kitchen. I tweaked it a tiny bit, but if you’d like the original recipe with a step-by-step walkthrough, and access to even more amazing recipes for dog and man alike, visit her blog here!